We started with the head. Not a great idea. We ended up having to redo it at the end anyway so I suggest you leave it to the end. But while I’m talking about the head, the way we made ours was to a cut a really large piece of burlap, bigger than I cut the first time, because you need enough on the ends to put an elastic around it. We stuffed the burlap with hay from one of the hay bails.
We tied together the two broom sticks to form the base for the body. Yes that’s still the first head that eventually fell apart.
I thought it would help with the legs to use a pair of nylons. So I cut the crotch out of a pair of my old ones so that I could slide the post through the legs. We stuffed the legs with hay. It turned out to be a wasted effort because we didn’t need them. In fact, I ended up using them in the arms instead but I probably didn’t need them anyway.