Cake, cupcakes, cake pops, marshmallows, doughnuts….something is always “hot” in party desserts and for 2013 let’s run through what is “it” this year.
1) Donuts – typical deep fried favourites with indulgent toppings like maple bacon, or even funnel cakes and beignets… and piled high donut holes in towers, with drizzle.
2) Salted caramel – showing up in desserts everywhere this is a favourite flavour
3) Veggies in your dessert – carrot cake is a typical fave, but how about parsnip cake, roasted beets, avocado, and yams, are also showing up in many desserts.
4) Mousse and Puddings have made a comeback
5) Retro – think s’mores, whoopee pie, sticky toffee pudding
6) Crepes and Waffles, make a great made in front of you buffet item, while guests choose the toppings
7) Specialty shakes is another great hands on made to order item
8) Dessert Crostini, what we thought of as savoury is now sweet
9) Push Pops – filled with combinations of cake, fruits, ice cream, sauces, frostings and even jellos
10) Ethnic Inspired – Mexican, Asian, how about a dessert chimichanga
11) Figgy cookies aren’t just your fig newton – infused with red wine and anise they have gone upscale
12) Ducquoise – meringue layers with creamy fillings, think PB and Jelly!
13) Truffles – handmade and again in sophisticated flavour combinations
14) Gluten Free
15) Cupcake ATM’s (yes you read that right, an ATM that dispenses cupcakes)
16) Popcorn – sophisticated, like Campari infused
17) Boozy Desserts – in cakes, cookies, bread puddings
18) Sunflower desserts – made with
19) Parisian Macaroon Towers – made gluten free with almond flour, its popularity has made its way across the ocean to us this summer
20) Artisanal Popsicles and Ice Cream Sandwiches – great for the summer event –with grown up flavours
Now maybe I am a traditionalist, but I love my cake, chocolate, carrot, cheesecake, fruit flans, I don’t discriminate. But I think the best dessert buffets are those that offer a range of fun flavours, textures and “mini” desserts to sample and taste.
A dessert buffet can also look beautiful with differing heights, platters, and pieces perfectly arranged to tantalize not just your taste buds but your eyes. Combinations of chocolate, fruit, mousses, dessert shooters, its about decadence. Also very popular is DIY – Edible Party Favours, which your guests can take home with them – think brownies, blondies, truffles, cookies, mini banana bread loaves…the possibilities are endless!
Colleen appears to our resident foody because has submitted yet another one of her favorite recipes for you to enjoy…be sure to let us know if you have tried any of these recipes we have been posting. We’d love to know what you think.
I love this one because she submitted it right out of her cookbook 🙂